It’s not surprising that Instagram is so popular among influencers. The platform is easy to use, very visual, and is consistently offering new features for influencers to utilize. And the Instagram user base shows no signs of slowing down, as Instagram recently announced that there are more than 800 million daily users on the platform.
One of the features attributed to this growth is Instagram Stories. In an attempt to compete with the highly millennial-focused platform Snapchat, Instagram released the Stories feature in August of 2016. Leveraging the growing popularity of the Instagram platform, this fun addition is a great way to connect with friends, family, and audiences in a more spontaneous way. In fact, we recently surveyed 600 of our influencers and 80 percent said they were using Instagram Stories as a part of their arsenal of tools.
As more brands delve into influencer marketing specifically focused on Instagram, it’s important for influencers to know how to maximize their Stories content. We have compiled some key best practices that influencers and brands should be mindful of when creating Instagram Stories.
- Always Tag your Location. A simple way to boost views on a particular story or potentially gain new followers is to tag a location within your story. Instagram pulls stories from locations together into a searchable story based upon places. Even if someone isn’t following you on Instagram and might not inherently see your story, they could view your story thanks to the location based feature.
- Be Authentic. Stories are focused on “in the moment” type of content that is informal and fun. Share those parts of your life that your followers will appreciate and can help build your personal brand. That being said, those moments don’t need to be monumental or profound. Sometimes sharing the simple struggles we all face can add a relatable impact that resonates with followers.
- Be Creative. Take advantage of the features Stories provides. Stickers, filters, and text options allow you to individualize your post in a creative way and have fun with sponsored content.
- Promote your Brand. Use Stories as a promotional tool. A quick teaser on Stories is a great way to let followers know about your latest Instagram post or even posts on other channels (blog, YouTube, etc.)!
- Keep it Simple. Stories posts are short and sweet, so too much information crammed into one share can get lost or cause your followers to swipe past it.
With a continual release of updates best practices on this new tactic will continue to evolve. But regardless it is clear that Instagram Stories are here to stay.