App Review Series: This series is written by members of Social Fabric to educate other members about new apps, how to use them, and their opinions about the apps. These are not sponsored posts, but written by members who volunteered to do a review.
Stumble into an Epic Surfing Experience with the StumbleUpon App
Internet surfing is taken to a whole new level with StumbleUpon. Find new-to-you websites and blogs related to topics you’re interested in quickly and easily. The StumbleUpon app for iPad is user-friendly, and you’ll never run out of interesting sites to check out.
How to get started with the StumbleUpon app:
1. Install the StumbleUpon app from the iTunes store.
2. Sign up for a new account. You can use your Facebook or Google account or sign up using your email address.
3. Start adding interests to you account. These interest topics will serve as jumping off points for your stumbling fun. You can surf all of your interests or choose a particular one to stumble within, so don’t worry about adding too many. I happen to be interested in a lot of different topics, so I have loaded up my interest list with 86 interests.
You will get a small pop-up preview of the site before it is loaded. You can choose to wait a second to view the website or stumble to the next one, if it doesn’t look like something you’d enjoy.
4. Start stumbling! When you like the website you’ve stumbled, hit the “thumbs up” so that you’ll be able to stumble more sites like it. Additionally, you can easily go back to your “likes” later to view them again.
5. Share what you like. If you StumbleUpon something you enjoy, share it on twitter, Facebook, or with another stumbler; add it to a list you’ve created.
One thing that I love about StumbleUpon is Lists. Lists are collections of sites based around particular themes or interests. Users create these lists (and you can create your own, too), which can be followed by others.
You can take a look at my profile above. I have been using StumbleUpon for a few years now, though I just recently tried out the iPad app. It is also available for iPhone and iPod Touch from the iTunes store.
When would you want to use the StumbleUpon app?
I use the StumbleUpon app on my iPad when I am waiting for an appointment, having a coffee or a meal by myself, and while watching a TV show or movie. If you’re looking for more information on a particular topic or interest, StumbleUpon allows you to surf smartly.
I would recommend the StumbleUpon app for anyone with a passive or active interest in what’s online. I’ll be using this app to surf smartly while waiting at doctor’s offices, grabbing a coffee and other occasions.
Tazim Damji is a content creator and virtual assistant from Vancouver, Canada. She blogs at BeingTazim.com. Content on Being Tazim ranges from smart tips for decorating and organizing a home, to smart ways to use and enjoy technology, and also incorporates local travel ideas.
Find Tazim online: