This summer marked the first time 2 billion users have been connected on a single social media platform. And – you guessed it – that platform is Facebook.
According to ClickZ Intelligence, 61% of advertisers report that they plan to increase Facebook ad spending over the next 12 months. But is it worth the investment?
Over time, Facebook has seen dramatic growth across the board. With 1.33 billion people logging onto facebook daily (Statista), one in five page views in the United States attributed to Facebook (Zephoria) and six new profiles created every second (Brandwatch), the surge in advertising spend is a safe bet. Meet and engage with your consumers where they already are. Check the stats below and make sure your brand is hitting the mark with your audience:
- If you’re looking to reach Millennials and Gen X, look no further: Facebook is the best place to find them. Plus, 75% of users spend 20 minutes or more on Facebook every day (Tracx).
- 83% of online women and 75% of online men are on Facebook (Tracx).
- Almost 30% of users are between ages 25 and 34, making this the most common age demographic (Zephoria).
- The 55+ age demographic has led growth over the last three years, increasing its numbers by almost 50%, followed by 20% growth for those between ages 35 and 54 (ISL).
- Don’t count the kids out: in 2016, 65% of teens said they used Facebook daily, an all-time high (eMarketer). This statistic beats out Instagram and Snapchat.
- Fifty-seven percent of consumers say social media influences their shopping, led by Facebook at 44% (Yes Lifecycle Marketing).
- Twenty-six percent of Facebook users who clicked on ads reported making a purchase (Mary Meeker)
- Online shoppers flock to Facebook: 26% use Facebook to browse for new items to buy, making it the most popular of all social media platforms (Marketing Week)
- Writing shorter posts shouldn’t be left to Twitter – keeping your posts below 250 characters can get you 60% more engagement than you might see otherwise (Buffer).
- Effective user-generated content can generate 6.9x higher engagement than brand generated content on Facebook (Mary Meeker)
- Supermarket shoppers prefer Facebook – at 89%, Facebook is their most heavily used social media platform (Yahoo Finance)
- 35% of Facebook Fans “like” a page so they can participate in contests, and “caption this photo” contests bring in 5.5x more comments than regular posts (Buffer).
- 42% of Facebook Fans “like” a page to get a coupon or discount (Buffer).
Video and Facebook Live
- One in five facebook videos is now a live broadcast (Mediakix).
- Assuming each video is watched for only three seconds per view, Facebook generates over 3,000 years’ worth of watch time each day (Mediakix).
- Eighty-five percent of video is watched with the sound off (Digiday). The importance of quality visual content is at an all-time high.
- Of the 50% who use Facebook video, 90% use Facebook native videos. Native videos perform on average 110% higher than non-native videos, and they get 1055% higher shares (Quintly).
- It’s all about the moment: live videos are watched 3x longer than videos that aren’t live anymore. Users also comment on live videos at 10x the rate of regular videos (Mediakix).